Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Brave New World Post

      I hate everyone. Why is it that I am so different to everyone else around me? I’m an Alpha for Ford’s sake, I shouldn't be treated this way. Within the World State, I was born being a part of the highest class possible, yet even mere Epsilons defy me. Like earlier today when I was trying to get this damn machine to take off, that Epsilon didn't listen to my orders! I clearly told him to start the engine that way I could make it to my engagement on time, but he just stood there as if nothing happened. I know they are made to be slow, but it is obvious that when an Alpha says to do something, you do it. I realize that my physical characteristics are not up to par with other Alphas, but the differences in our attributes are not that drastic. That Epsilon must be extraordinarily slow when compared to the rest of his kind.
      I shouldn't be this mad over an Epsilon’s actions, or in this case a lack of action. Just remember Bernard, “Everyone belongs to everyone else” (Huxley 40). It only took 62 thousand repetitions of this phrase over a 30 month period to make it into truth. I should at least try to remember it. This phrase, along with countless others, are repeated at least three days per week during the night with anywhere between 40 to 50 repetitions each time. Sometimes, I wonder what it is like to sleep without the hypnopaedic lessons. With all these phrases becoming truths through constant repetition, it seems like our society would fall apart without them. How is it possible that the savages are able to survive in our world despite the clear differences in technology and intelligence? I can only imagine how different it is to live in two different worlds.
      Soon, my guessing will end. I have already made plans to visit the savages and I am looking forward to it. I even asked Lenina to go with me, although she seemed a little reluctant at first. There is still some time before I have to leave, so maybe she will give me a final answer before then. Damn that Henry! Always bragging about what he and Lenina did together. All the other guys just seem capable to getting woman, except me. It is probably because I am so different compared to the rest. It will be my turn soon to be with Lenina, hopefully. There is still a chance she will say yes to go on the trip with me, unless she believes all the stories they say about me. I hear the phrase all too often. It is almost as if everyone at the hatchery had an additional hypnopaedic lesson which repeated phrases explaining my actions. Something along the lines of, “Oh, it must be because of the all the alcohol added to his bottle.”
      The story is similar to something like this. When I was still in my bottle, someone thought I was supposed to be an Epsilon, not an Alpha. As a result, the worker accidentally added more alcohol to my bottle to cause damage, that way I would be slower and less physically built when compared to most in society. However, the worker realized their mistake and stopped adding alcohol before they caused too much damage. That’s the reason I look and act like this. Everyone talks behind my back, saying that I need to take a soma tablet when I get angry. No one understands that I prefer being angry than taking those pills. I only take soma tablets when I am in a dire situation that calls for drastic action or when there is too much for me to handle.
      Maybe, when I go to see the savages, I can bring something back that will revolutionize the World State or even make me famous. The Director of the Hatchery said he once visited the savages as well, but lost the woman he was with. Maybe, just maybe, I can find something that will pertain to the Director. While there, I will have to search for her and bring her back. The Director has given me too many threats. Not only would I get payback against the Director, but at the same time I will make everyone in the World State remember my name; Bernard Marx!
Works Cited:

Huxley, Aldous. Brave New World. New York: Harper & Bros., 1946. Print.

1 comment:

  1. Good post! It sounded like Bernard when you used the word "Ford" and stated how many times the repetition was given to the children.

    ReplyDelete